Wednesday, November 14, 2007

In response to Bill Pickle's "Bastard...Gun Owners"

I could not help but notice Bill Pickle’s article on gun ownership in Texas, not only because the first word of the title is “bastard”, but because gun control (or lack there of) is an important and controversial issue in the world today, especially in Texas.

For some reason Texans have always thought that the world is out to get them. Maybe it dates back to the fact that Texas was its own independent nation once upon a time, and the people residing here feel they should still be a little better than the rest of the country. I’m not sure, I don’t consider myself one of them. I personally am not for or against gun control but I would like to react to an interesting bit of Mr. Pickle’s commentary.

He states, “Average citizens who want to protect themselves and their families will no longer be treated like hardened criminals.”

I consider myself to be an average Texas citizen. I was born and raised here; I have a job, I go to school, I can vote, etc… I have also driven across the country many times including to and from Maine, to and from Colorado, to and from Southern California, and numerous times to and from a family friend’s beach house in Galveston. I have never ever, not even once, been threatened while traveling. I’ve done all of this traveling from the time I got my license at 16 up until last summer when I turned 19. I’ve done it with my siblings, my parents, and even my girlfriend. Let me re-emphasize, I have never been threatened while traveling.

The kind of person that becomes threatened when traveling, is the kind of person that threatens while traveling. This, I believe, goes back to the arrogant and self-centered nature of Texans and their feeling of righteousness. You simply don’t need a gun to protect yourself while traveling, and if you really think you do, you should obviously never travel because it’s too dangerous. You never know when one of those gun-carryin’, car travelin’ Texans will threaten you and your family. Remember, they could be anywhere so watch out.

No comments: